Approximately 15 million Americans suffer from some sort of orofacial pain. These conditions can range from minor, infrequent pain and clicking of TMJ to debilitating migraines and an inability for the jaw to function. 90% of these cases are caused by the muscles in the jaw with the other 10% a result of dislocation or a degenerative joint. Regardless of the cause, it is possible to treat these disorders with TMJ Therapy.
The temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect the jawbone to the skull. These joints are used for talking, chewing, swallowing, and yawning. Any issues with the jaw joint and the associated muscles are known as TMJ disorders. If you have any of the following symptoms, Dr. Bethaney B. Brenner may be able to treat your TMJ issues:
Dr. Brenner is an authority in the field of TMJ Therapy. She has 30 years of experience in treating TMJ and is one of five doctors in the world with a Mastership in Disclusion Time Reduction (DTR) Therapy. She is consistently voted as one of America’s Top Dentists each year.
Dr. Brenner specializes in non-surgical and non-invasive TMJ therapy treatments.
Dr. Brenner uses cutting edge technology to diagnose and treat TMJ symptoms and causes. This includes special neurologically appropriate orthotics and Disclusion Time Reduction (DTR) therapies.
All TMJ treatment is filed with your dental and medical insurance and we will do everything we can to maximize your benefits. We also have several low interest financing options available with credit approval.
Dr. Bethaney B. Brenner uses DTR (Disclusion Time Reduction) to treat TMJ disorders (see our video below). She is one of five doctors in the world with a Mastership in Disclusion Time Reduction (DTR) Therapy.
Regardless of the cause, it is possible to treat these TMJ disorders 90% of the time without surgery. There is 30 years of published research definitively showing that DTR is one of the most effective treatment options available today, but not the only one. The primary goal of TMJ therapy is to return the jaw to its proper function, thereby eliminating the related symptoms. In some cases, combinations of therapies are needed.
My jaw joint clicks or pops. Is this a problem and is it going to get worse?
Yes, it is a problem and it is likely to get worse unless treatment is provided to stabilize it.
I had a bite splint made for my TMJ problem, but why does it not relieve my symptoms?
It is often because an accurate diagnosis was not established prior to the splint being made. Sometimes it is because a different design or instructions for use of the splint would have been more successful. Generic or universal designs of bite splint are not recommended. If a bite splint is needed, a specific custom design should be fabricated considering your diagnosis. Also, other physical problems may be occurring that may contribute to the problem and pain. We can determine why your treatment has not resolved your problem.
Is my headache or jaw pain caused by a TMJ problem, some other disorder or a combination of things?
Often, what are described or diagnosed as migraines are often caused by TMJ. Other disorders or conditions can also be a cause or factor. Only proper and thorough evaluation and testing can determine that and we excel at finding answers to these questions.
Why does my bite feel uncomfortable like there is no proper spot to hold my jaw?
This is usually due to unstable jaw muscles, an internal jaw joint disorder or a combination of both.
Will getting braces fix my TMJ problem?
Sometimes orthodontic treatment can be a great option to correct a person’s bite and alignment of the teeth but it should never be used before an accurate diagnosis of the TMJ problem is established.
Do TMJ problems cause migraines?
Yes, they can. Although patients can suffer from true vascular migraines, the majority of headaches are either caused or exacerbated by TMJ problems.